Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Wheel Chair

For the wheel chair assignment, I partnered up with Megan Pharmer. By riding a wheelchair ourselves helped us understood what we needed to think about when designing.

Here is Megan trying to turn around to exit the small kitchen in ELB.
 
 
Here is Megan trying to find accessible pathways to a building in order to avoid going down a hill.

 
Here is Megan trying to reach for a library book.


Here is Megan facing sideways at the copy machine. It was hard for her to reach and set the book in the right position.


The bathroom outside of the Architecture library was wheelchair accessible. There were plenty of space for Megan to turn around and allowed her to be able to wash her hands.


After Megan's success, it was my turn to ride the wheel chair to the small cafe in Carpenter Hall.


Here is a picture taken from my view as I sat in the wheel chair.


Here I am at the Pick-up order.


While Megan and I were heading back, we came across a space in the parking lot that would not allow me to pass. It reminded me how important it is to have space in a parking lot for accessibility as well.


This water fountain was not wheel chair accessible.


Here I am, struggling to back up from a bathroom stall that was not accessible.


Here is a sketch and some notes that I took from my experience. I couldn't help myself but laugh how terrible it was inside a non-accessible bathroom. I've learned a little glimpse of what life is like to ride a wheel chair but it has really opened my eyes to see how important it is to make sure everywhere is accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment